Saturday 22 October 2011

Song review: The Rolling Stones - No Spare Parts

 How could I possibly say anything bad about The Rolling Stones? In my early childhood, I was pretty much surrounded by British classic rock bands, playing everywhere I went in my Dad's car. The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who... you name it. I had them all absorbed into my mind at least before I was ten years old. So, I speak from the point of view of someone who never heard any new material from the Stones growing up but have mass knowledge on their early stuff. So the opportunity to be able to review something new of theirs a little surreal and joyful.
 This is due to the online emergence of previously unreleased track No Spare Parts, taken from the forthcoming re-issue of the band's 1978 album Some Girls which will be released on the 21st of November.
 Showing the Stones ability to make a slower, more relaxed and overall uplifting song, No Spare Parts is played with a large country music and blues influence. Lyrically talking about a journey from Los Angeles to San Antonio, the gentle guitaring of Ron Wood and electric and acoustic piano duet from Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, it's serves as a song that is simple, gentle and has a warm feeling overall.
 As nice as it is, it really can't make me feel to excited about the re-issue of Some Girls, it's pleasant but not the most breath-taking thing I've heard from The Rolling Stones. Not by a long shot.

 The Rolling Stones' Some Girls: Super Deluxe Edition will be released on the 21st November.


No comments:

Post a Comment